Back when I was doing my photo shoot, Teresa told me about how she had just made ice cream bread. I was so confused!! Bread?? Made out of….ice cream?!!! The long day, coupled with the usual shiny objects, made me forget about this idea almost immediately, but I remembered this week!
Luckily, there were plenty of recipes to be found on the internet for this SUPER easy idea. All you need is ice cream and self-rising flour. Of course we didn’t have any, but fear not! You can make your own with a teaspoon of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt for every 3/4 cup of all purpose flour needed.
How’d it come out?! It was kinda cool! It was (and I HATE this word, but it just WAS) moist and delicious. Some of the recipes told me to add a teaspoon of sugar, and I’m glad that I did. Most of the recipes also told me that it was better to choose a stronger ice cream flavor. Unfortunately, I’m more of a how-many-different-things-can-you-put-into-the-ice-cream kind of gal, so I tend to choose more boring flavors but more interesting (and just plain MORE) toppings and/or fillers. So I went for Ben & Jerry’s “Late Night Snack” which had chocolate-covered potato chips and salted caramel swirls. I can see why other bakers wanted you to choose a more robust flavor…this loaf ended up just being sweet, but not super flavorful because of the actual ice cream choice (“sweet cream”). Flavors like mint chocolate chip or butter pecan or cinnamon would probably be more flavorful at the end.
Regardless, I will DEFINITELY be trying more flavors in the future! So cheap to make!!
I’m slightly curious, though…if one used chocolate chip cookie dough, would the dough cook?? whaaaaaaaa…….
Other notable firsts:
* I had never heard of the “what would i say” app, where it jumbles up a bunch of your former facebook statuses and creates new ones. My two favorite:
– YEAH YEAH YEAH were there maharajas at the other palace?
– send a heaping pile found in other ed programs
I think the second one particularly cracked me up!
* I had never eaten a pumpkin pie blizzard from DQ. Even though it was the fake kind of pumpkin pie (super heavy on the artificial pumpkin), I still enjoyed it. I had also never tried dipping fries in there, either. THAT was delicious!
* I had never passed the PLT!! Hooray!!! It was my last test that I had to take to get my M.S. The only thing that I need to do now is do my student teaching, and then I’m free to go teach! Woop woop!!! Taking this test still makes me scratch my head, though. I did really well on it, meaning that, ON PAPER, I’m a good teacher. But the field of education is so fascinating to me because of the huge disconnect between theoretical knowledge of teaching and the practical application of teaching. I may look good on paper, but I’ve got YEARS ahead of me to actually be a good teacher. I’m really, really, really looking forward to developing those practical skills.
* I had never had a school picture taken as a teacher! Woop!
* I had never been in a 5 Below store! It was AMAAAAZING!!! Here were my second favorite pair of sunglasses:
* I had never known that there was a whole world of equipment for gamers. Different keyboards, mouses, combos, even the LANGUAGE is amazing. Here is one display at BestBuy. I don’t understand any of the words. I also never knew you could be a professional World of Warcraft player?!!! I’m such a n00b.